PHYSICS, GENERAL RELATIVITY, ASTROPHYSICS and ASTRONOMY
Organised by Pau Amaro Seoane, Hannes Jung, Leonel Morejón and Fernando Guzmán at the Instituto Superior de Tecnologías y Ciencias Aplicadas (InSTEC) de la Universidad de La Habana, from 18-29 May 2021.
The idea of this meeting is to broaden the knowledge of topics that Cuban students of the InSTEC and other research institutes of Cuba as a way to choose their future interests. Obviously, this is not only restricted to them, so that if you are interested in the topics, please drop us an e-mail to let us know. Depending on the connection limits, we will have to select the number of attendees. We will give preference to students, then postdocs and finally professors, in that order.
The talks will not be classical talks, but “constantly-interrupted-ones“, in the sense that the speakers will have to address as many questions as the students see fit to ask to understand the topic being presented, instead of just hearing a talk. There is a difference.
Because we want to share this opportunity with any interested student, we will open the participation also to non-Cuban students. However, only Cuban students will be allowed to interrupt the speaker during the talk. The reason for this is two-fold: First, the very reason of the workshop is that they have this chance and, second, we cannot have any given number of people connecting to the talk due to the limit of attendees that jitsi has.
Non-Cubans will be able to ask questions after the conclusion of the talk.
CONFIRMED SPEAKERS, THEIR TOPICS…
- Leor Barack: “Self-force approach to the two-body problem in GR”
- Carlos Barceló: “Gravity as an emerging property of condensed-matter systems”
- Mar Bastero Gil: “Inflation and inflation model building, observational constraints and reheating”
- Roberto Capuzzo Dolcetta: “Massive- and super-massive black holes in galaxies”
- Xian Chen: “Gravitational waves sources in the LISA band”
- Monica Colpi: “The origins of massive black holes and the gravitational wave sky”
- Reinhard Genzel: “The supermassive dark object at the Centre of our Galaxy”
- Kostas Kokkotas: “Neutron stars and gravitational waves
- Badri Krishnan: “Black hole horizons”
- Pablo Laguna: “Numerical Relativity as a Tool of Astrophysical Discoveries”
- James E. Peebles: “The Large-Scale Nature of the Universe”
- Simon Portegies Zwart: “Chaos in Newton’s dynamics and the origin of the arrow of time”
- Rainer Schödel: “Our Galactic Centre”
- Carlos Sopuerta: “Gravitational Collapse in General Relativity”
- Andrew Taylor: “Non-thermal particles in the Universe- what are they good for?”
- Kostas Tzanavaris: “Foundations of quantum field theory and the Weinberg approach”
- Alejandro Torres Orjuela: “Gravitational Wave modes”
… AND THE DATES AND TIMES
- 18th May
- – 17h00 CEST : Rainer Schödel
- – 18h30 CEST : Pablo Laguna
- 19th May
- – 17h00 CEST : Kostas Tzanavaris
- – 18h30 CEST : Reinhard Genzel
- 20th May
- – 17h00 CEST : Xian Chen
- – 18h30 CEST : Leor Barack
- 21st May
- – 17h00 CEST : Mar Bastero Gil
- – 18h30 CEST : Nikos Chatzarakis
- 24th May
- – 17h00 CEST : Roberto Capuzzo Dolcetta
- – 18h30 CEST : Kostas Kokkotas
- 25th May
- – 17h00 CEST : Carlos Sopuerta
- – 18h30 CEST : Simon Portegies Zwart
- 26th May
- – 17h00 CEST : Andrew Taylor
- – 18h30 CEST : Carlos Barceló
- 27th May
- – 17h00 CEST : Alejandro Torres Orjuela
- – 18h30 CEST : James Peebles
- 28th May
- – 17h00 CEST : Monica Colpi
- – 18h30 CEST : Badri Krishnan
SIGNING UP, FEE AND ACCESSING THE WORKSHOP
If you want to attend the talks, please send an e-mail to astrogrCuba2021@protonmail.com
If you are accepted (we will have a limit based on the video conferencing software), please transfer at least 10 EUR to
Name: Leonel Morejón
Purpose of the transfer: Participation in Astro-GR 2021 workshop
Amount: At least 10EUR, up to you to transfer more to help
in order to cover the local expenses in Cuba to organise the workshop and to improve the internet connection of students there.
Deadline for registration: 01 May 2021
Because of the pandemic, all participants will connect via jitsi.
The details will be sent per e-mail a few days before the talks start. The password for the lectures will change daily. We ask you to please pay the fee if you want to participate in the talk and not to forward the password to anyone, since the number of connections will be limited.
MOVIES OF THE TALKS: